Writers, your manuscript is your baby: every page is tissue given the breath of life by your blood, sweat, and tears. I respect the brutal honesty and courage it takes to write, no matter where you are in the process. I adapt editorial strategy for the medium, whether trade publishing, reporting, corporate copy, or web and social media.
In addition to the standard services of each type of editing (see this reference from the Northwest Editors Guild), I bring strengths earned through experience. I specialize in:
- Helping you understand your audience
- Connecting tone and reading level
- Organizational outlining or broad restructuring
- Adapting existing writing for a new format oraudience
- Coaching through new material
- Inspiration and leadership
Substantive & Line Editing
- Writerly edits, matched to your writing voice
- Reducing wordcount
- Obsessing over your readers’ wants and needs
- Focus on clarity
- Production in all major print and digital formats, including .mobi, .epub and HTML
- Web editing in HTML, XML, and CSS
- Covers, titles, and print design
- Self-publishing consulting
- Press kits, marketing, and PR
Copyediting and Proofreading
for trade publishing, marketing and development, and corporate copy
- Proficiency in Chicago and AP styles
- Bias for economy of language
- Good sense for balancing mechanics and style
- Empathetic yet direct query demeanor
Third Wave Wife, Consultant: developing blog posts from conception to publishing; organizing arguments to balance humor with clarity of argument.
“Jocelyn has been not just a great editor, but a great partner. Whether it’s a comma splice or help shifting the tone, her style is one of collaboration that improves my work and inspires me to keep working. I couldn’t ask for a better editor.” –Amber Macdonald, blogger
Kotodama Linguistics, Copy Editor and Line Editor: light to heavy copy editing on a variety of projects; readability editing for early-stage Japanese-to-English translations.
“I always turn to Jocelyn when I need help lining up what I am trying to say with what I mean, and her writerly edits consistently sharpen the focus on both the form and content of everything she touches.” –Joseph Boxman, proprietor
SR Education Group, Editor: Copyedited hundreds of short blog posts and informational articles on higher education, across affiliated sites, including Guide to Online Schools. Formatted images, headers, and text in HTML and CSS.
Copper Canyon Press, Editorial Intern: coded and helped produce several titles, including Come on All You Ghosts by Matthew Zapruder and Space, in Chains by Laura Kasischke.
Trillium Classics, Series Editor: Managed editorial calendar and formatting by web developers. Proofread over 50 public domain titles. Acquired and copyedited two original works by new authors. Designed covers for all titles.
Facing the Future, Copy Editor: light copyediting of annual report.
Center for Wooden Boats, Editor: Proofread a ticket in partnership with the Mariner’s baseball team. Line edited and optimized for search PR and blog materials.