Tonight our very own Sloppy Joe made his first vegan sloppy joes. They were delicious, but the recipe is still in development. Here it is as we made it. We served it on french bread, which isn’t vegan, so we didn’t feel remiss adding a little colby jack, with a side of sweet potato fries.
2 cups dry TVP
half a block of extra-firm tofu
1 can of black beans, rinsed
half a yellow onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 packet of Meijer sloppy joe powder
3 tbsp olive oil
2 oz tomato paste
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp dijon mustard
2 tbsp ketchup
2 tbsp beer
1 tbsp cumin
a pinch of rubbed sage
1.5 tsp ground mustard
a pinch of onion powder
1 tsp hot togarashi powder
a pinch of salt
a pinch of pepper
Prep time: 30 minutes
Sweet potato fries
1 sweet potato cut into fries
2 tbsp olive oil
pinch of curry powder
pinch of nutmeg
- Pour boiling water over the TVP and let it soak until soft. Oven should be preheating at 425.
- Brown the diced onion in olive oil over med. heat. Salt generously.
- Add the TVP and tofu. Mash the tofu until it’s in tiny crumbles. Add the seasoning packet.
- Add black beans.
- Toss sweet potato with olive oil, nutmeg and curry powder. Throw them in the oven when it’s up to temperature. Cook for 10 minutes before turning and cooking for another 10 minutes.
- When the things in the skillet are hot but not cooked all the way through, add ketchup, mustard, and spices.
- Add beer and let that cook down a bit.
- Add tomato paste, vinegar and a little more olive oil. All the while keep mixing the stuff until it’s sticky and holds together, but still wet and sloppy like a Manwich.
Results: that shit tasted like a meaty sloppy joe. Next time I don’t think we’ll be using the Meijer brand spice packet. For one thing, there was hardly enough to cover all the proteins, and for another it wasn’t very strong. The ketchup, beer, and dijon mustard made it all a touch too sweet. Eventually we added enough vinegar and cumin to make the sweetness unnoticeable. Also the togadashi powder made it spicy, in a good way, but not in an all-american way. Leave it to Joe, that pinko.
The sweet potato fries kicked ass as usual.