Today is Joey’s birthday. It’s also the day he moves into his FIRST solo apartment, all by himself. And seriously, somehow, this scrawny kid managed to move all of his belongings into his apartment without the help of any of his friends who, God forgive them, were all busy. This meal is about convenience–it takes one pan and is delicious reheated–so we can focus on drinking champagne.
bread crumbs (I had some stale soda bread around, but you could use panko or anything)
cheddar, goat cheese, gjetost, whatever kind of cheese you want
vegetables of your choosing
cauliflower, sweet potato, onion, garlic, kale, parsley
Preheat oven to 350
1. Cook up your veggies in a cast-iron skillet til they’re tender! Season with salt, cumin, cayenne and black pepper.
2. Boil macaroni til it’s al dente (don’t get crazy, this is gonna cook more in the oven
3. While the veggies and macaroni cook, shred cheese and stale bread.
4. Turn the heat off the stove and add pasta, cheese, 1/4 cup of cream (or enough to suspend the veggies and pasta to the same level. Stir so it’s well incorporated.
5. Add bread crumbs to the top and bung it in the oven until it’s golden brown (30 min)